POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : TrueType "char not found" errors in POV-Ray 3.x : Re: TrueType "char not found" errors in POV-Ray 3.x Server Time
26 Jun 2024 05:59:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TrueType "char not found" errors in POV-Ray 3.x
From: Ron Parker
Date: 4 Feb 1999 15:30:48
Message: <36ba0378.0@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:45:22 -0600, Thorsten Froehlich
	<fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> wrote:

>> If you can, make sure your software creates a proper cmap for platform 1,
>> specific 0, format 0.  If your software can't export a proper cmap, you
>> might have a problem.  A little hex editing to change the platform ID on
>> this bad cmap would do the trick with POV, but I don't know at what offset
>> within the file that information is stored.
>
>However, this is dangerous as the TrueType standard says that the cmaps have
>to be ordered...
>Based on the OpenType spec link above it should be possible to remove this
>cmap, and then all should work fine.

Well, a platformID of 2 (ISO) would still be ordered...  I agree, though,
that getting rid of the mac cmap subtable, if the software allows it, makes
the most sense, if it can't be made to behave correctly.  By the way, I
didn't mean to imply that anything related to this is a bug in POV.  The
font is clearly broken.  I also note that the array may actually be present
in the font in question, but then the length field is incorrect.